Cell Phones and Electronic Devices
Although cell phones can be a tool in the classroom, sometimes they cause a distraction to learning for the owner of the phone and to those around him/her. Therefore, in order to maintain an engaging, productive learning environment, the following expectations are in place for this school year:
- HCPSS Policy 8080 states, “Students will not use personal technology devices during non-instructional time, to include but not limited to transition between classes, lunch, recess, or in bathrooms.”
- All phones and personal communication devices must be away and either off or silent while in classrooms. Phones should not be set to vibrate.
- Students may use personal technology devices / cell phones in classrooms only when approved by the teacher or administrators, as will be indicated visually on a “stoplight” in each classroom.
- Cell phones are not permitted in hallways during school hours; they must be put away prior to entering school upon arrival.
- Personal electronic devices may not be used in locker rooms or bathrooms at any time.
- Students are not permitted to videotape, audiotape or take photographs during the school day, including during the bus ride to and from school.
- Individuals assume full responsibility for their non-HCPSS owned technology devices. Lake Elkhorn/HCPSS is not responsible for lost, stolen, or broken pr
Any disruption to class or other educational activity may result in disciplinary action. Students who fail to adhere to this policy may have their property confiscated by any school staff member. Such property will not be returned to students and will only be returned to a parent or guardian during regular office hours. Lake Elkhorn and/or HCPSS is not responsible for lost, stolen, or broken property.
We will review this procedures with students, but you can help us by reviewing these expectations with your child at home.
Thank you for your ongoing support!